Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Truth About Inna


Hi, this is Kiwi! Like Summer said in the last post, I'm feeling a lot better, so I'm going to be writing today's post because I found out something interesting about my big sister Inna.

It may seem weird that there's anything left to find out... but Inna hasn't been my sister for very long. Me and Summer used to live with just Maia. We met Inna in Toronto, where we were living at the time, a couple of months before we moved here. At first, me and Summer thought she was Maia's new girlfriend - but it turns out they were just friends. Inna didn't have a nice place to stay, and we had an extra bedroom, so Maia talked to us and asked if it was okay if Inna came and lived with us. Of course we said it was fine. So Inna became our second older sister, even though we didn't meet her till this year. When Inna was in some kind of danger in Toronto and decided to move here to try to be safe, we came with her, because we're family.

Inna has always been really nice to us, and really goes out of her way to take care of us and protect us. She's always been kind of secretive, though, and won't talk much about her background. Usually she says it doesn't matter - but sometimes she admits the real reason, which is because she thinks we wouldn't be safe if we knew. I get the feeling some parts of her past are pretty bad, because of that and because a lot of times she makes sarcastic little comments about herself that she's not a nice person... even though she really is.

The doctor said I can't go back to school till next week because I had surgery, so Maia took time off work to take care of me. While we were eating lunch today, and I asked her, "How come Inna knows so much about vampires?"

I didn't expect that she would answer me, because she usually doesn't talk about stuff people don't want her to talk about - but Maia surprised me. She said, looking at my still kind-of-bruised face, "We agreed to protect you from this... but I guess we can't." Then she told me the basics of the story.

A few years ago, Inna made some vampires mad - I don't know what she did, Maia didn't say. These were big bad scary vampires, not nice ones like Clare and Tabitha. And older, more powerful ones, like we were wondering about before. They decided to kill her, but not all of them agreed, and when some of them tried to murder her, the other ones secretly saved her life... but she didn't know at the time that there would be a catch. The ones who saved her bound her to them as their servant. 

Inna was with them for awhile, but she finally got away. She's been on the run ever since - from vampires who think she's dead, and from vampires who think she betrayed them by escaping instead of spending the rest of her life serving them. No wonder she's so scared! And no wonder she felt so sorry for Clare. Good thing Inna has us to protect her now!

I asked Maia if I was supposed to keep this a secret, and she said no. That it's better for everyone to know the truth now. I'm glad, because it would have been really hard to be the only kid who knows, and not be able to talk to my sisters.

When Inna got home, Maia told her that she'd told me. Inna didn't seem upset with Maia - but she was worried. She asked me if I still liked her. I said of course I do, I love her, because she's my sister! Then I gave her a big hug. Everything was alright after that.

I'm sure this isn't the whole truth about Inna. I typed up everything Maia told me so I won't forget, but it's just the bare bones of the story. Maybe in time, we'll learn more. For now, I feel like I know my big sister a little better.

Love,
Kiwi

6 comments:

  1. Salut, Kiwi!
    I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better!
    Hmm...maybe that's why Inna says she is mean...? Perhaps she regrets doing what she did, and that's why she makes jokes about being mean...? I'm sure that isn't the full reason, or maybe it isn't even the reason at all.
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiwi says:

    Thanks, Sabine! :-)

    I think that's part of the reason. I know she regrets it, and it makes her feel like a bad person.

    I'm not sure the rest of the reason... but I think it might have something to do with how she got involved with a bunch of old bad vampires in the first place. I'm not sure how that happened, but I get the feeling that it's a regret too.

    Love,
    Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiwi,

    Wow, wonder if it was the Ricean vampires that Inna ticked off. We know they can be a really mean bunch of vampires, or at least most of them.

    It is wonderful to have family that will stay together and protect one another. I was lucky to have my family here. My aunt brought me here after I was born and told them that I was 1/2 vampire and left me because it was not safe for me to grow up with her. That is all I know about my background.

    I am so glad that you guys stayed with Inna, and will keep staying with her. All of us need family and protection, specially you guys.

    It would be interesting to know how in the world Inna got involved with vampires and made them mad. Family secrets, guess we all have them. I often wonder about my aunt, she had to sneak me away and hide me.

    Ok, talk to you laters,
    Hugs,
    Brya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiwi says:

    Hi, Brya! :-)

    Yeah, it could be those vampires - I don't really know. Whoever would want to hurt Inna would have to be really mean!

    Your aunt must have cared a lot about you, to have saved you and found you a safe place to live. It's too bad you can't still see her.

    I don't know anything about my biological family either, because I was originally adopted from China, so there's not really any way to find out. I wonder if they can turn into cats like I can?

    Maybe your aunt will come back someday and visit you. That would be cool!

    Love,
    Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's really amazing that everyone in your family is so awesome or special or has gifts like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiwi says:

    Hi Aurora! :-)

    Sometimes it's fun, but sometimes it's a pain to have unique powers. Sometimes it would be nice to just be... regular.

    At least we all have each other, though. We can be there for each other and work together. It would be hard to be the only one. Fortunately, we're all in this together.

    Love,
    Kiwi

    ReplyDelete