Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What we did today



This is Josefina, giving you a quick update on the day we all had.

Kirsten started driver's ed today! People of Canada, beware. The first Green is now out there on the road! Just kidding. Kirsten is actually a safe driver... so far.

Felicity is writing a report about Wuthering Heights for school. She's very meticulous, so of course it will be perfect.

Molly had to leave school in the afternoon to go to the eye doctor. I don't think we've told you this before, but Molly was diagnosed with a degenerative disease of the cornea a couple of months ago. If it wasn't for the doctors, she could go blind, but luckily even if it gets bad they'll probably be able to fix it with surgery. Today she got good news from the doctor. It hasn't progressed very much since her last visit, and it's still only affecting her right eye. She doesn't need surgery yet, yay! She'll have to go back to the doctor next month, but for now, things are good.

Kaya had ballet class after school. They're starting to get ready for their spring recital. Kaya is in a whole bunch of dances, for both ballet and modern. She says some of the stuff is hard and she's tired after practice, but she has a good time and it's worth it.

Charissa and Evelyn spent the afternoon at the children's library after they got done with school. They were going to play outside with some of the kids in the neighbourhood, but it was too melty to play in the snow and too grey, slushy, and cold to have much fun playing sports, so they're saving that for another day. They both brought home lots of books and are reading them.

So who's left? Just me, Josefina. (Bree is still in transit and has nothing much to report.) My afternoon has been pretty leisurely. I was trying out some of my abuela's pastry recipes. I used to make them with her while she was still living, but I've never made them on my own before. I think they turned out pretty good! The girls are going to give their final opinion on that after supper, though.

That was what happened today at our house! :-)

Love,
Josefina

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You guys had a busy day today too! I'm glad Molly got good news at the doctor. It always feels nice to leave the doctor with good news, doesn't it? Before my brother and sister were born, my mom did research on eyes.

    *goes to talk to mom*

    She says she studied retinopathy of prematurity and age related macular degeneration. Sounds complicated to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Molly.

    Leaving the doctor with good news is definitely a happy thing. (We were glad to hear your fever was nothing serious, too!) I wasn't super anxious about this appointment because I didn't think it had gotten much worse, so they told me basically what I expected.

    What's wrong with my eyes (well, just the one eye right now) is called Keratoconus. Usually it's managed with special contact lenses. I don't have those yet, but I probably will in the future. In about 1-3 in 10 cases, though, the person needs a corneal transplant someday.

    The reason I have to have checkups is because sometimes it can get worse very rapidly. It hasn't for me yet, though! Yay!

    It's cool that your mom did eye research.

    :-)

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom says she knows how to do corneal transplants. She tried to explain it to me, but it just sounds gross! I hope you don't ever have to have that done, Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty gross! But... it's kinda fascinating, isn't it? I mean, in the abstract?

    The hardest thing for me to imagine with it is that the donor corneas are from dead people - I'm sure that's part of what your mom already explained. (They can do transplants with artificial corneas too, but that's usually only for people who can't have it done the regular way.)

    I know that people die all the time anyway, so it's not like I'd be causing it. It's just kind of sad to think that someone else would be losing a family member while I gained my vision.

    I hope I don't have to have it done, either!

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete